Apr 29, 2008

busy week

Well, we have had an exciting, busy, exhausting week.
Sunday I was stuck in bed/bathroom with a case of food poisoning. I haven't had it this bad in a while.

On Tuesday I took Josiah to the doctor. He has been complaining for some time now that his stomach hurts. He usually just mentioned it in passing and didn't really make a big deal about it. Finally I decided we needed to check it out. The doctor said it is most likely parasites!! Yuck - guess that is part of living in Mexico. So, we put both Josiah and Abigail on parasite medicine last week. It is so common here that many people take the medicine once a year. I think Cory and I might just take some this next week.

I always joke about my pot luck prayer. Its a short and sweet prayer. I simply ask for a strong stomach and that the food will not harm me or my family. They are not as worried about food safety as we are. I know they think I am crazy that I bring a cooler with ice in it to keep my salad cold. Pretty much any time we eat out I make sure to say my pot luck prayer.

On Wed Cory goes to a new colonia we have been trying to reach out to. I think I have told you about Gerardo and Marta. Well, when Cory showed up this week he was informed that it was Martas Birthday. Cory asked if they were going to do anything special and she told him that her husband was too cheap and that he wouldn't even buy her a cake. Cory quickly called me and I got a cake in the oven. Cory told her we would be back in the afternoon and bring her a cake. Right after lunch we headed to their house (about 30 minutes from our house). When we got there she had lunch waiting for us. Luckily we had just had sandwiches at our house so we had room for a second lunch. We had a good time and I think she felt very honored that we took the time to be with her.

Friday Josiah was invited to an art show. One of his best friends has been taking art classes one day each afternoon. The class is at the end of the semester and they have an art expo at a coffee shop downtown. He was excited to go, as was I. It was suppose to start at 5:30 and Josiah was really stressed because at about that time we were still stuck in construction somewhere between our house and downtown. It took a long time to get there and the directions I was given to get there seemed to take me to a part of town that I had never been too. When we were just a few blocks from where I knew we needed to be I saw that I was only a block from the downtown cathedral!! This is a place I know very well (not the cathedral but the area). I couldn't believe I had taken all these back roads when I could have taken a major road way faster. Oh well, live and learn. So we get to the coffee shop about 10 minutes late and find out that only two families from the class had gotten there ahead of us. An hour after I arrived the art teacher showed up. Half an hour later the entertainment showed up. The entertainment was great. It was a band (3 musicians). They used all kinds of kitchen utensils, rubber animals, swimming gogles, etc for their music. Of course they also played real insturments - trumpet, cello, and accordion. I don't know that I would say they were the best musicians I have ever heard (of course not as good as my brother-in-law Trey). I would most definately say that they were the most entertaining musicians I have seen.

Saturday was another great day. We had our regular little league game (we won for those of you keeping tabs). After the game we had a get together for all the families in little league. There are around 50 kids! I don't know how many people there were in total but there was a great turnout and we had a blast. There are a few families that we are really trying to spend time with and get into their lives. After lunch the kids all received a watergun and had a great time having a waterfight. While they were doing that we had a parents baseball game. It was a blast.

Today I was cooking lunch and Hannah fell off of a chair while sitting at the bar. Immediately her head swole up. It was so swollen that her eye was partially shut. My next door neighbor is a surgeon so I ran to his house and had him look at it. He was amazed at how big it was. She screamed for a good half hour. Luckily she allowed me to put a cold pack on it right away so the swelling went down a lot. Now she is left with a nasty bruise.

It didn't hurt quite as much after a glass of coke!


Stacy said...

Hi Toni,

I love your potluck prayer!

Love the pictures too - your kids are SO cute.

Mike & Lucy said...

It is funny. I think I ate at the first pot luck when I was in Mexico and got sick. After that, I managed to just munch on a few things and busy myself with other things so I didn't get sick. I hope Hannah's bruise went away soon. Canaan and I were sitting in a food court not long after arriving here; I wasn't being extra careful watching him and he took a head dive to the floor (he is a bit top heavy at times with that head of his!). Anyway, he fell off the chair and bust his lip. I felt so bad and everyone just stared at us. But, he got over it. I guess I am always thinking he is bigger than he is and I don't have to be quite as careful watching him as I should. Anyway, we love you guys.